14. Jun, 2022

The Results of the Solar Dye

I finally took the fabrics out of the solar dye experiment jars. Normally in the height of Summer it would only take about 3 days but because I am working at this time of the year when the sun is much less intense I left the fabrics in the jars for 4 weeks. The bottom row is merino jersey, then silk and then cotton. I was most disappointed in the canned black beans but would like to retry these with dried beans - with supply problems from Covid I could only get canned ones at the time I set up this experiment. Overall the shades are more pastel than a lot of the natural dying I have done in the past and I have not tested these for sum fastness yet but pretty pleasing result overall