12. Jun, 2022

Finally Made my own ink

The Gum Arabic on mail order arrived so yesterday I made my first batch of black ink for the carbon extracted from the charred wood. I had to boil the gum Arabic with distilled water for 20 minutes and then let it cool before I bottled it as a stock solution and then I made up the ink with the black charcoal. I don't think I ground the charcoal quite fine enough as the ink has a bit of a texture but it writes OK as long as I don't overfill the dip pen. I have tried making ink in the past but I didn't realise the importance of the binder (Gum Arabic) to fix it to the paper. I might try boiling up some saved and dried marigold flowers to make a Lake (lac) ink if I find time. The process is relatively simple but time consuming