9. Jun, 2019

Eco resists and stamped enhancements

In Kathy Hays online course Weeds and Leaves the focus was quite different from my normal eco dying projects. It was using leaves as a resist rather than their own printing possibilities. This does give more control but is not my preferred method of working with eco dying. In the brown piece in yesterdays post I used paper towel strips dipped in ferrous sulphate over the leaf placement to further layer and provide a resist area to the iron blanket (and subsequent PH shift) Where there was no iron blanket the leaf prints barely showed. Once the iron blanket was removed and the piece was dyed. I used a foamy stamp (could have been a home made sanded foam stamp) to further mark the fabric where the resists did not show. I used a cochineal extract thickened dye for this stamp. Again once the stamp is dried the fabric needs to be washed to remove the guar (just leaving the dye) and then the piece needs to be steamed for 10 -15 minutes to set the stamp dye. This is quite time consuming but a range of interesting layers can be achieved. I would like to revisit the sample where I used grasses as a resist and try just using strips of watercolour paper to make a grid under an iron blanket to get a more controlled grid. Of course it loses the serendipity of the naturally placed leaves but does provide another process in the eco dye tool box. The sample above is mordanted linen., dipped in tannin - You could probably get away without the mordanting and just scour the linen and dip in tannin to get similar effects. If I get time I will try these alernatives