Carol's experiments

22. Jan, 2017

This sample was originally designed to go into the Memories of Kakadu quilt to represent the Australian bushfires but it just didnt look quite right so I decided to consign it to my fabric journal.  It was really fun to make adding in textured yarn to replicate the effect of foregrond fire leaping up uncontrolled and all the colours of the flames.  There are some dyes wool fibres semi needle felted in there also

15. Dec, 2015

This was the first signature I worked on and is a bit of a hodge podge.  The moth on the right is a inktense coloured trace on a teabag that I had salvaged and drawn on.  this was attached with artist medium on both sides of the tea bag.  This was the first time I had tried this sort of exercise and I was pretty excited.  Now I save more tea gas to try other stuff.

This page is really a mix of techniques rather than anything as a whole.  The stamps at the bottom and the the coloured flowers are Indian block prints and the leaves are standard rubber stamps.  The flowers were coloured with ink tense and then blended using fabric gel rather than water as my first attempt at coloured work was a bit of a disaster with water bleeding the colours into the background fabric.  I am hoping to resureect that project at some time by using free motion quilting to cover up the bleeds.  all stamps have been covered with medium.  

That left a gap at the top left so I am filling that with some basic couching using 6 strand embroidery thread.

My disappointing echo dyed fabric has made a really great background for this project so even when something goes wrong (or not quite right) it can often be salvaged for something else later on.

15. Dec, 2015

Mixed media fish -I have seen a lot of fabric journals on Pinterest so I decided that, even though this is a very busy time of year, I would set out to try some small scale techniques and record these in a fabric journal that I will assemble as I go. I started off with a tissue paper tracing of a fish from one of the popular adult colouring books. I outlined the fish in fine tipped marker and then painted with inktense pencils and blended the colours with water. I attached the tissue coloured image to some eco dyed fabric which hadn't come out quite as I'd hoped. It made a good background for this work. I put gloss medium (because I didnt have any matt at the time on the fabric and adhered the painting. Then I applied the gloss medium over the top of the image as well. I had only tried a small teabag painting pror to this so I was pretty much working by instinct. Although I would have preferred a mat finish at this stage, the gloss gave the impression of almost thin vinyl and gave a shine to the finished fish. Once the medium was dry I free motioned quilted, in black around the fish and emphasized his gills and eye etc. I quilted wriggly lines in variegated rayon thread in the background and added three brass rings as embellishment. This completed this half of the the signature for the journal.

15. Dec, 2015

I wanted to try something with fabric paper so I chose another "page for the journal (one half f a signature side and decided to give this a go.  I watered down standard white pva glue in the ration of 1:1.25 glue:water.  I spread this over the fabric using a wedge foam brush.  I draped some rayon threads on top half of the page and adhered some dried leaves in a simple arrangment on the bottom right.

I carefully placed the cut to size tissue over this so that these items were trapped between the fabric and tissue paper.  I then painted over the tissue with more watered down glue.  The tissue is quite fragile at this stage and it may be necessary to carefully ease out wrinkles.

I left this to dry over night and then embellished by freemotion quilting around the leaves and giving them veins in black and placing two rows of machine fly stitching at the bottom.  The stamp at the bottom left was added because I wanted to see how this medium would take stamps.  I wished I hadnt done this afterwards but it is OK.  I can live with it.

The give some vertical interest I added the textured yarn (left over from my ANZAC quilt) and applied with the plain white buttons.

I liked the oldie worlde, antique effect and the understatement of this page